Monday, January 12, 2009

A few thoughts on Infrastructure

Okay... I guess it's kind of a joke that when Dems get into office, there is automatic spending on "Infrastructure." *laugh* *wink* *laugh*

That term gets loosely thrown around as if it's something bad. Think of all the things we use on a daily basis that gets taken for granted. I know there are some schools in my area that kids are going too that have been around for almost 80 years and are dangerous. Things always need to be repaired and when we operate under the "No gov't spending" rule, these things go by the wayside.

Well, the Infrastructure is finally speaking up for itself at the cost of human lives. Let's review. The bridge in Minnesota, The water main in D.C., the levees in New Orleans. There are many, many others. We're in a new century with more updated, modern advances and we need to apply these to things that are already existing.

I may be liberal, and you might not believe that I don't think that government is the answer to everything. *gasp* But a properly run gov't could take care of a lot more than it does now. We need regulations to keep people safe. It's a fact, that if companies/businesses can cut costs, regulations will be the first thing to go. The food industry is a stark example. We need the government to start working for us. Not just the few that stand to get richer and richer.

2 comments:

mommapolitico said...

I am completely with you on this one, fellow Liberal Mom. My parent's street was paved last when I was in high school(past the 4-0 mark recently...)and it's down to the macadam. While this administration was giving out corporate welfare, crucial services have been thrown by the wayside, at the risk of public safety. You're right. Government can't solve everything, but I can think of a truckload of things it could have done in the past eight years. Heckuva job, Bushie.
Great post, Girl.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Jen,
I like your blog very much. You are right on with this post.

I'm teaching a course in which I'll show five popular culture films that deal with issues of social justice.

And I need some stimulating discussion questions. Hope you'll come over for a visit and share your thoughts at http://halfirishrover.blogspot.com/2009/01/first-of-five-days-of-my-leeching-off.html

Thanks!