Friday, October 9, 2009

Congratulations Mr. President.

I woke up this morning and saw the Breaking News Banner. I always get nervous because you never know what that could be. Once I cleared my eyes I saw that President Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize. I will say I was surprised. But I can understand why they gave it to him. He has touted his diplomatic policy since he was running for president. He has followed through on reaching out to a lot of countries. We were a country that bullied everyone and now we are trying to restore our respect for them.

And then as I was listening to the news, I got angry a little bit. President Obama was handed a bunch of shit when he took office. He's been doing all he can to clean up the mess that Bush left us, while trying to get some of his policy initiatives passed. Nothing happens overnight. We are so impatient that we are discouraged that things are getting done quicker??? We need to get off of his back. Day in and Day out... he gets nothing but criticism. No gratitude, NO thanks, no nothing. And this, for me, was vindication to a certain degree that at least the international community is appreciative of his efforts. All that nonsense about how the Olympics going to Rio was a reprimand against Obama??!! This proves that that's not the case.

So, congratulations to you Mr. President. I appreciate the hard job that you have and that you are trying to make our country better.

7 comments:

LWLH said...

Congrats to the President! :)

Clair said...

Certainly over here in the UK the backlash against him is almost non existant. He is a very welcome change and I don't care if the "special relationship" is gone, getting people talking is a big thing.

Congratulations Mr President!!

Sue Jacquette said...

here, here!

I was surprised at first, too, but when you think about it, when you think over the last year, no one person brought the whole world together with a feeling of hope and unity. I would say not only in the last year, but in my lifetime, I've never experienced anything like it.

mommapolitico said...

What a terrific surprise! The Hubby called me immediately to let me know (my day at school starts early!) and I was elated. I think The Rachel Maddow Show did a great job highlighting all the diplomatic accomplishments The President has achieved since taking office a mere 9 months ago.

Way to go, Nobel Committee, for recognizing diplomacy in this age of insanity. And hooray, Mr. President, for your well-deserved award. The right wing's got nothin' on this! Great post, Girlfriend.

Charlotte said...

The poor guy is damned if he do and damned if he don't! I am very proud of him and my country.

monkey girl said...

Geez, I thought for sure this would bring our anti-Obama stalkers out of the woodwork...but I don't hear any whining yet.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Yay! :)